Tag Archive: Android

Final Year Project

Final Year Project

As part of the final year of  my BSc Computing degree, I did a personal project to utilise the skills I had learned over the previous years.

My project was entitled “Assessing the suitability of the Google Nexus 7 for games development“.

The project was split into two parts.

  1. Part 1 investigated the Nexus 7 device and the Android Operating system with an eye towards using it as a gameplay platform. This resulted in the creation of the Nexus 7 Workbench application, a simple tool used to showcase some of the technologies and capabilities the device can use such as camera and GPS support.
  2. Part 2 compared and contrasted the differences in developing the same game for the Android platform in two different ways. The methods selected were using the Android SDK and using YoYo Game’s GameMaker Studio application to develop a simple memory game using the same art assets across both development platforms.

Part 1 went in-depth with the hardware of the device. Thanks to the use of various sources such as iFixit and hardware reviews, the individual capabilities of each part of the hardware as well as the reason behind some of the design choices were analysed, experimented with and explained. The final product created for this section was a small app created using Java in the Android SDK that used multiple facets of the hardware such as the camera, the GPS and the suite of sensors available.

Part 2 looked at two different methods of creating games for the Android platform. This was done by using the same basic game (a simple memory game) and creating it using different software packages. Originally the project was going to utilise Unity as one of the two but due to an issue with getting the licenses required to push to Android platforms, GameMaker Studio was used instead. It presents a different challenge to the Android SDK and contrasts its designer/scripting focus against the Android SDK’s programmer focus.

Deliverables

The project delivered three things:

  1. The Android Workbench application
  2. A memory game created for the Android platform using both GameMaker Studio and the Android SDK
  3. A dissertation presenting my findings and showing my methods

My source code and dissertation is available on BitBucket at https://bitbucket.org/michael_charge/final-year-project

Gallery