Tag Archive: feat

W.A.M.

StartScreen

W.A.M. (or Whack A Mole) is a simple 2D games prototype developed in my first term on the MProf course at Abertay.

The brief was to produce a simple game demo designed to be played on a mobile device based around three titles (“Impact”, “The Few” and “A New Day”). Our design was based around Impact and we created  a Whack A Mole game featuring multiple different types of mole, a scoring system with music and assets created in house for the game. The control scheme is entirely tap based, designed to be quick to pick up and play.

The project was implemented primarily in Marmalade 6.2 using C++ and the IwGame Engine available here, especially utilising the XML setup functionality in IwGame. The game has been tested on Android phones and tablets and shows the controls to be ideal in their intended environment. Feedback from classmates and tutors has been positive.

In order to continue development, the game is currently being converted to Unity from Marmalade due to licensing.

The Team

Art: Mustafa Cetiner

Design: Sean Winston

Programming: Michael Charge

Sound: Anthony Sheridan

Download

Source code may be available September 2014 pending the conclusion of the MProf program.

Media

Final Year Project

Final Year Project

As part of the final year of  my BSc Computing degree, I did a personal project to utilise the skills I had learned over the previous years.

My project was entitled “Assessing the suitability of the Google Nexus 7 for games development“.

The project was split into two parts.

  1. Part 1 investigated the Nexus 7 device and the Android Operating system with an eye towards using it as a gameplay platform. This resulted in the creation of the Nexus 7 Workbench application, a simple tool used to showcase some of the technologies and capabilities the device can use such as camera and GPS support.
  2. Part 2 compared and contrasted the differences in developing the same game for the Android platform in two different ways. The methods selected were using the Android SDK and using YoYo Game’s GameMaker Studio application to develop a simple memory game using the same art assets across both development platforms.

Part 1 went in-depth with the hardware of the device. Thanks to the use of various sources such as iFixit and hardware reviews, the individual capabilities of each part of the hardware as well as the reason behind some of the design choices were analysed, experimented with and explained. The final product created for this section was a small app created using Java in the Android SDK that used multiple facets of the hardware such as the camera, the GPS and the suite of sensors available.

Part 2 looked at two different methods of creating games for the Android platform. This was done by using the same basic game (a simple memory game) and creating it using different software packages. Originally the project was going to utilise Unity as one of the two but due to an issue with getting the licenses required to push to Android platforms, GameMaker Studio was used instead. It presents a different challenge to the Android SDK and contrasts its designer/scripting focus against the Android SDK’s programmer focus.

Deliverables

The project delivered three things:

  1. The Android Workbench application
  2. A memory game created for the Android platform using both GameMaker Studio and the Android SDK
  3. A dissertation presenting my findings and showing my methods

My source code and dissertation is available on BitBucket at https://bitbucket.org/michael_charge/final-year-project

Gallery

UnderCurrent

UnderCurrentLogo

As part of my final year, I took part in the Advanced Games Development Module. This module is designed to introduce the various different disciplines (artists, animators, programmers, designers and sound designers) into working with each other to create a working game prototype within 7 months.

I was part of a team working with the Unreal Development Kit, a free version of the Unreal Engine 3. This was selected early in development by the design team as it was the platform they were most comfortable using. This meant that I had to learn UnrealScript as well as creating new gameplay systems.

For this module, I received a 1st. The game is being continued by elements of the team at Hammerhead Interactive.

Download

An executable of the latest build is available at https://share.oculusvr.com/app/undercurrent

Media

UPDATE: UnderCurrent has been making the rounds of various gaming sites after the release of our alpha gameplay video went up

Joystiq: UnderCurrent aims to bring deep sea exploration to Oculus Rift

Polygon: UnderCurrent uses Oculus Rift for a deep sea exploration simulation

PC Gamer: UnderCurrent bringing deep sea exploration to the Oculus Rift

VG247: Oculus Rift goes deep sea diving in UnderCurrent

NBC News: Explore the ocean floor with virtual reality

Alpha Gameplay Video

My main role was in writing a series of gameplay affecting fish that the player would interact with to change their speed or other properties. These are visible in the proof of concept video below.

Gameplay System Proof of Concept

Initial Proof of Concept